Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society
Membership in Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society at KU
Membership in Pi Alpha Alpha is limited to persons who demonstrate academic achievement in KU's School of Public Affairs and Administration programs (a NASPAA member school) and/or outstanding public service, and who fall within the following classes: student, alumni, faculty and honorary. All memberships are national memberships with a local chapter affiliation. All categories of membership enjoy the same rights and privileges.
Undergraduate Student Membership
Candidates for undergraduate degrees who rank in the upper ten percent (10%) of their graduating class may be inducted provided:
1. They have completed 15 semester hours of course work required for the public affairs or public administration major or its equivalent;
2. They have maintained an average grade of 3.5 on a scale of 4.0 in all courses in public affairs and public administration, and at least a 3.0 in all course work;
3. They have met the requirements of (a) and (b) above and are in at least the last semester or quarter of their junior year.
Transfer students who meet the qualifications for undergraduate membership may be inducted after they have completed a minimum of one full year of course work in the school or college to which they transfer and in which the chapter is located.
Masters Student Membership
Students may be inducted from among the master’s degree students in the department, institute, or school wherever the Pi Alpha Alpha chapter membership is based provided:
1. They have maintained a GPA of at least 3.7. A chapter may set higher GPA requirements if it chooses.
2. Master degree students must have completed at least fifty percent (50%) of the required course work (a minimum of 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours). A chapter may set a higher percent of completion if it chooses.
Doctoral Student Membership
Doctoral students who meet the requirements for Pi Alpha Alpha masters degree student membership or who have completed all the requirements for the MPA or its equivalent, may be inducted without restriction as to number.
When are students inducted into Pi Alpha Alpha?
Each spring, a list of eligible students is compiled by the School of Public Affairs and Administration. Students are contacted via email with membership information. Induction requires payment of a $50 fee. Those students who respond by the deadline and pay the fee are inducted into Pi Alpha Alpha during the School's annual graduation banquet, held in April at the Kansas Union Ballroom. At that time, they are presented with their membership certificate and pin. Their designation as Pi Alpha Alpha inductees is noted in the graduation program. (Note that eligible students may choose whether to be inducted into Pi Alpha Alpha; membership/induction is not required.)
For more information about Pi Alpha Alpha, please visit the NASPAA website, or contact the faculty coordinator:
Bradley Lane, Assistant Professor
4060L Wescoe Hall